Sunday 28 November 2010

tv

I have often wondered about Australian tv, before the advent of all the digital channels, for the most part all you got was either sport or American sitcoms (either new or re-runs - M*A*S*H was on constantly when I first got here).

However, since free to air digital tv, it's almost like I've been transported back in time to my childhood. Take tonight, for example. I had the choice of watching (listen carefully, I shall say this only once...):

'Allo 'Allo*
All Creatures Great and Small**
Vicar of Dibly
Bless this House
Heartbeat
Bargain Hunt
Escape to the Country
Birds of a Feather

and at other times during the week

Keeping up Appearances
Love Thy Neighbour
Jonathan Creek
George and Mildred
Pie in the Sky
Wycliffe
Coronation Street
Emmerdale
Hollyoaks
Quincy ME; and
The Antiques Roadshow

And that's really without venturing into the realms of the ABC (think the BBC but Australian...and with adverts) which is the acknowledged place to find all programming of a British persuasion. The ABC is where I get my Dr Who/Torchwood fix :)

You can also catch at various times Knight Rider, The A Team (loving it!), Get Smart*** and Hogans Heroes*** and the original Star Trek.

* Graham had me in fits of unexplainable giggles the other day when for some reason something he said about a picture made me ask "Is it the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies?" He still doesn't understand what was quite so funny.

**I had to laugh at the description of this on the guide - it was apparently "*all new*" 'All Creatures Great and Small'. From 1989.

*** Didn't actually see these in my childhood but discovering them made me feel like I was back there anyway :)

3 comments:

Doris said...

Ah the candle with the handle on the gateaux for the chateaux, classic!

Ellie said...

I'm glad you understood, because quite frankly, that really didn't make much sense as far as posts go - that's why I should read them back and not just ramble!

Amy said...

I LOVE this post! Ooooooooh Rrrrrrrrrrenaaaaaaaay! :) xx